Skip to main content

Dancing to Unsweetened Jams

pink blossoms in a tree

 Yesterday I had my follow up appointment with my regular doctor about my diabetes diagnosis. Today I had the follow up blood tests at the DinoCare (actually Dynacare, but I couldn’t resist) lab that the temp doc wouldn’t let me have when I saw her back on March 29. My regular doctor also prescribed blood pressure meds. I’ve been monitoring my blood pressure with a wrist cuff since I am not able to use the regular arm cuff without my blood pressure going sky high. But even with feeling more comfortable with the wrist cuff, I still get hypertension 1 and sometimes 2 numbers, so I need to lower it. Tomorrow I’m starting PERINDOPRIL, which may have me fainting from low blood pressure and vomiting. Hey, let’s hope not. Don’t read the side effect stuff on the web. The pharmacist said well, you have to take it , right? So yeah. As long as the symptoms are minor, I’ll be ok. ?!

 The supremely kind and helpful staff of the Community Diabetes Education Program Ottawa (CDEPO) rigged me up with the FreeStyle Libre 1 and 2, continuous glucose monitors for 14-day trials. This will give me an accurate idea of what’s going on with my blood sugar. What spikes it, what gets it too low, what keeps it even. If it ever gets even. I am focusing on small and incremental changes, but I see that the numbers are already lower than the initial red flag diagnosis from the March 15 AC1 test.

 I have to work on my issues with sleep, my need to crash after meals. The main thing I got from the doctor is praise. She was very encouraging and supportive, one of the reasons I like this doctor. There is still this story that I had prediabetes in 2014, and I still feel like this is something I wasn’t properly aware of, but it’s time to shrug that off. It’s likely that the doctor said this to me and I didn’t dwell on it or understand that it meant I should be making lifestyle changes because I was just 3 years past my bowel resection and not really into doing anything but celebrating the fact that I was still alive. Now it’s time to thrive. To flourish.

 To recap: it’s been 40 days since my diagnosis. Since then I have stopped eating junk food entirely. I have changed my diet according to the plate system. I have added daily walks to my fitness routine. I am now tracking my blood sugar levels. I will begin blood pressure meds tomorrow. I have lost 5 pounds. I haven’t had a crying jag or felt anxious over this in at least a week.  I can wear my sexy brown corduroy skirt again. I can dance without taking a rest for 15-20 minutes. Pump up the jam! (as long as it is unsweetened).

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U