Skip to main content

The calm before the...

echinacea flower with purple petals and a big middle bit

Since May I’ve been thinking about August. Not because of hot weather or some kind of love of summer; although I’ve been enjoying the lush flowers and sunlight, but rather because of my A1C test, a test that measures blood sugar levels over three months.

March 15, 2022: 9.5

May 11, 2022: 8.0/8.1

August 3, 2022: ??

 

My doctor told me that she believes that since my blood sugar level was so high in March, it is unlikely that I will be able to manage my diabetes through diet and exercise alone. This was hard to hear, but I kept working on my diabetes management by working my ass off, prioritizing physical activity and food that kept my blood sugar levels in the good zone (before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/L; 2 hours after meals:      5 to 10 mmol/L or milimetres per litre).

Today I went for the test. I go to the Dynacare Lab on Kent Street, a fifteen-minute walk from my apartment. I checked in via Dynacare’s Net Check in, which allows people to be in a virtual queue and not have to wait too long in the waiting room.

I wore one of my favourite dresses. I drank lots of water beforehand. I was nervous, but I calmed myself. I have been doing meditation and I believe it is helping me face things calmly. I had printed out my initial requistion but all I needed to do was tell the person at the desk that I was there for my 3 month A1C test and hand them my health card. It was that simple.

I read poetry in the waiting room. The technician complimented me on the dress. It was a quiet and good experience.

After I went over to Staples to use the washroom and to buy myself a pen, a small reward for not freaking about about the unknown and the possibilities that I may need medication. I encountered a dear friend and we chatted for some time.

I have changed my attitude greatly from the initial diagnosis in March. I know it is possible I may need medication. If I do, I will learn as much as I can about it, continue to work on diet and exercise and attitude, taking good care of myself and communicating to my health care team. I understand now that I am responsible for my health care and that others are there to help me achieve what I need in terms of physical and mental well-being. I have the amazing support of my darling husband for whom I am infinitely grateful.

I am signed up to the Dynacare Plus, so I will know my results in a few days. Then I will make an appointment to discuss follow up with my doctor.

 Doubtless my husband and I will be checking the app a lot in the next few days, but regardless of the outcome, I feel capable of handling it. I feel as if I’ve grown up a lot during the process of initial diagnosis to management of my diabetes. It’s a lot to learn. Gee, I’m 58 and still have a lot to learn. Ain’t that grand.

 I’ll let you know the results in the next post! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Dancing to Unsweetened Jams

 Yesterday I had my follow up appointment with my regular doctor about my diabetes diagnosis. Today I had the follow up blood tests at the DinoCare (actually Dynacare, but I couldn’t resist) lab that the temp doc wouldn’t let me have when I saw her back on March 29. My regular doctor also prescribed blood pressure meds. I’ve been monitoring my blood pressure with a wrist cuff since I am not able to use the regular arm cuff without my blood pressure going sky high. But even with feeling more comfortable with the wrist cuff, I still get hypertension 1 and sometimes 2 numbers, so I need to lower it. Tomorrow I’m starting PERINDOPRIL, which may have me fainting from low blood pressure and vomiting. Hey, let’s hope not. Don’t read the side effect stuff on the web. The pharmacist said well, you have to take it , right? So yeah. As long as the symptoms are minor, I’ll be ok. ?!   The supremely kind and helpful staff of the Community Diabetes Education Program Ottawa (CDEPO) rigged me up wit

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not