Skip to main content

overwhelmed and fucking up

i am full of anxiety
 

I’m not sure when I saw the doctor to get the diabetes diagnosis, but last week the dietican called to set up an appointment. as I’ve said she was very caring, but booked up until the end of the month. I will participate in a group workshop of some sort mid-April. I’ve been trying to figure stuff out on my own, including diet, but also exercise.

I thought I would also be talking to a nurse from the same clinic, but haven’t heard from any yet. I know medical staff are extremely busy and overwhelmed as well. I like to sort things out for myself and help as much as I can.

 Yesterday and today I had a breakdown. Charles has been helping me through it thank goodness, but it’s been difficult. I want to do everything right. I don’t want to fuck up. I researched and tried to figure out how to balance my lack of a colon issues with good food for diabetics and came up with a few ideas, but not really a lot.

 I tried eating an apple with almond butter. Soon after I got a terrible stomachache, indication of a bowel obstruction. It went away fortunately. So I tried again. This time I peeled the apple. The stomachache was even worse. It lasted for an hour, but fortunately again the blockage cleared. I am starting to feel like I can’t eat at all anymore. It’s either dangerous for causing blood sugar spikes or it’s dangerous for causing bowel obstructions. My head is spinning with all of this. I have a bitter taste in my mouth that won’t go away.

 I had some coconut black tea this afternoon to try to help me get rid of the bitter taste and worried that the pineapple in the tea, little bits…might be bad too. Free floating spinning anxiety has taken hold.

I am exhausted and I try to do more physical activity. I’ve been doing my fitness classes religiously three times a week in 2022, so that’’s good, but I set up a plan to do more, getting out to walk or walking up the stairs daily. Because the fitness classes aren’t enough to help deal with diabetes. I need to do more. Did I mention I am exhausted?

 And creatively this is really sucking the life out of me. I had an ideal life: I got up whenever I felt like it and I worked on my creative stuff and other people’s creative stuff according to a schedule that accommodated hours on the couch, burning incense, drinking tea, eating food that for the most part didn’t cause me blockages, except on occasion. I can’t control that. The diabetes diagnosis has made me feel as if I can’t live this way anymore and I don’t know what to do about it. Is my entire life now going to have to be devoted to my physical health? My mental health is shaky.

 

Charles tells me that I don’t have to get it all figured out all at once. These things take time. But I keep thinking that I’m doing my body damage if I eat cereal or something else with too much sugar in it. I feel guilty for not going outside and walking around. I have a stack of books I’d rather read.

 

This morning and yesterday were tough times. I guess I’ll go through all of this sort of emotion until I can get some facts and answers. I am twisting in the wind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do