Skip to main content

By BS I do not mean bullshit

bull with horns below text in red: BS LEVEL

 

1st week on the Freestyle Libre continuous glucose monitoring system, here are some observations so far.

 

TARGET BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS 3.9 TO 10.

 

So far I’ve had no blood sugar  levels below the target, but I have had higher levels alas.

 

FOOD

 

Above target

 

above target occurs when I eat bread and grains. I was trying to load up my carbs first thing in the morning as advised, to spread the carbs out more throughout the day.

 

1. 12.7 125 grams of steel cut oats with berries, walnuts or pecans, a little dairy, shredded coconut; coffee with a splash of dairy

2. 12.6 oats & above toppings; no coffee

3. 12.3 118 grams? of quinoa with same toppings as oats

4, 11,9 meatballs with panko, salad, roasted veg

4. 11.3 pizza: 2 slices – Pizza Pizza: whole wheat thin crust, reg. mozzarella, light tomato sauce, grilled chicken, olives, mushrooms, spinach

5. 10.4 Dinner: chicken with sweet chili sauce and salad

6. 10.1 whole grain Eggo waffle with vegan margarine and a teaspoon of syrup

 

In Range for other breakfasts such as Charles fantastic veggie filled omelets and most of the meal kits. I tried the quinoa again, but not as large a portion. I had only 59 grams (half of previous portion), with the berries and nuts as before, but I also added a slice of extra lean ham and a hard boiled egg, which brought my BS level down to 8.8.

 

SLEEP

 

Napping and sleeping seem to bring my blood sugar levels down to between 5 and 6.

 

EXERCISE

 

The medium intensity stretch and strength class I do three times a week for 75 minutes each time gets me in range: 7.2 to 7.6.

 

Low intensity walks daily for 30 minutes + 5.5 to 8.9.

 

GENERAL

 

if I’ve gone into 11 or 12 range, I have had rapid climbs and drops, so that’s an issue.

 

A1C

           March 15, 2022:         9.5

            May 10, 2022:            8.0 and 8.1

Changes to my diet and an increase in exercise seem to be doing their job.

 CONCLUSIONS

I have 8 days left on the Freestyle Libre and then I will go for 14 days on version 2. the main difference seems to be that there is less of a lag time between the blood sugar level change (only 2 minutes as opposed to FL1, which is 5).

My main takeaway from this is to reduce the grains and breads and increase proteins. To continue to exercise as I’m doing. Since sleep doesn’t seem to increase my blood sugar levels, I’m not working on napping less, but it’s happening anyway. I am starting to feel less tired after meals. For me a nap feels restorative, but in general too much sleep is considered just as bad as not enough sleep. I wonder though if my metabolism, with the lack of colon, might be doing things differently. Something to figure out/look into/talk about with medical folk.

I’m also on blood pressure meds now as well, which are lowering my blood pressure to normal range.

Charles and I attended a webinar on the FS1 and will do another for the FS2 later this week. We learned about the difference between interstitial readings (done by continuous monitors) and glucose readings (standard monitors). It’s not a big difference, just that there’s a little lag with interstitial results. People who’ve used standard glucose monitors expect the results to be the same but they won’t be. Since I’ve only ever monitored my blood sugar level using the continuous monitor, I’m not really affected by it. We’re not supposed to use individual results to make treatment decisions anyway, we’re supposed to look at the pattern.

I’m feeling good about the results. Being able to monitor my blood sugar levels easily with the continuous glucose monitor is really great. It gives me regular and instant feedback. I’m not looking forward to having to switch to a standard glucose monitor, which requires taking blood and fiddling with test strips etc. Still, just having this knowledge of my blood sugar levels and what causes them to rise is helpful.

At the end of May I have my meeting with the dietician at the Community Diabetes Education Program office,  and we’ll go over my results. She’s going to teach me how to use the regular blood glucose monitor as well. Onward!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Dancing to Unsweetened Jams

 Yesterday I had my follow up appointment with my regular doctor about my diabetes diagnosis. Today I had the follow up blood tests at the DinoCare (actually Dynacare, but I couldn’t resist) lab that the temp doc wouldn’t let me have when I saw her back on March 29. My regular doctor also prescribed blood pressure meds. I’ve been monitoring my blood pressure with a wrist cuff since I am not able to use the regular arm cuff without my blood pressure going sky high. But even with feeling more comfortable with the wrist cuff, I still get hypertension 1 and sometimes 2 numbers, so I need to lower it. Tomorrow I’m starting PERINDOPRIL, which may have me fainting from low blood pressure and vomiting. Hey, let’s hope not. Don’t read the side effect stuff on the web. The pharmacist said well, you have to take it , right? So yeah. As long as the symptoms are minor, I’ll be ok. ?!   The supremely kind and helpful staff of the Community Diabetes Education Program Ottawa (CDEPO) rigged me up wit