Skip to main content

blooming together

white peonies

i've joined a few FB diabetes support groups and i'm finding it helpful in so many ways to hear of others experiences and to answer and ask questions, share feelings of blueness and despair along with confusion and feelings of success. there's lots of variation as to what kind of medical assistance and support people receive. some, like me, have been given really great support, while others seem to be left on their own to figure things out, which would be horrible. group members help where they can and try not to judge. it is very clear from the range of issues and behaviours that diabetes does not affect everyone the same way; foods that spike blood sugar levels for some, have no affect on others. or vice versa. i find it very helpful to learn these things and to share knowledge and commiseration with others. someone newly diagnosed asked us to share our routines. this is mine...

4:45 a.m. wake up and scan with the Freestyle Libre 2 flash glucose monitor (i have a free sample for 14 days)
5:30 a.m.: breakfast - 50 g oats, a splash of 1% milk or quinoa with berries, nuts and shredded coconut. i make quinoa and oats ahead and freeze in little 50 g bags, then microwave in the morning for quick preparation. a small coffee with a splash of milk.
with the weather getting warmer, i've changed to yogurt with no grains, but continue with berries, nuts and shredded coconut. i drink a lot of water throughout the day, always keeping a glass full and handy near me. i don't have a colon so i need to keep hydrated especially.
6:45 a.m. scan to see how breakfast affected me. this morning i had the yogurt version and it was 10.1 mmol/L which is 181.8 mg/dl, so that was odd. i might have had too many berries.
sometimes i have a mini baby bell or another small snack such as a spoonful of almond butter or a piece of extra lean ham or turkey before my fitness class
9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: i do a 75 minute fitness class on Zoom that focuses on both resistance and stretching. abs, back and core.
10:45: scan again. usually my blood sugar levels are in range after the fitness class.
12pm: lunch - a salad with baby spinach and other fresh veg such as grape tomatoes, mushrooms. protein will be tofu or ham/turkey.
2pm: scan again and go out for a 30 minute or more walk. before diabetes diagnosis, i would not take a daily walk, just maybe once or twice a week for a few hours and sometimes not at all.
2:30pm scan again upon return from walking. if i do exercise sooner than 2 hours after eating, my blood sugar levels will often increase.
5pm: take blood pressure meds. i've had issues with high blood pressure for many years, but just started on meds this month.
5:30pm dinner - been doing meal kits for several years and choosing low carb options since diabetes diagnosis at end of March. my blood sugar levels will spike if i use bbq sauce or some other sweet sauce with a lot of sugar. i try to use smaller portions. i also exchange veg like corn for salads and have only a quarter of the plate with potatoes if they are supplied.
after dinner i tend to doze for an hour or so. this is changing with the change in diet from high carb, processed and junk food and the increase in exercise.
7:30pm scan again.
10pm - i have a little snack of either yogurt and berries again or two small Mary's crackers (any more and my bs levels spike), protein: mini baby bell or pepperette, a few cashews. if i don't snack my levels sometimes go down overnight to 3 mmol/L or 54 mg/dL.
11pm - scan before sleep
sometimes i take naps in the daytime and when i do that my bs levels will decrease but stay in range. there are some variations to these routines, especially on weekends, but that's basically it best of luck with managing your diabetes. it does seem like everyone is different as far as what foods cause bs level issues. i've found small, incremental change is a lot less intimidating than trying to fix everything at once. i still have blue and worrisome moments, but overall i'm finding this journey to be enlightening and enriching. i'm not as exhausted as i used to be and i'm less anxious too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do