Skip to main content

Portrait of the Eating Habits of A Post-Menopausal Woman with No Colon

a split open bun covered in sesame seeds with butter dripping down and melting
photo by Charles Earl

I don’t eat big meals. My stomach feels bloated and sore if I eat big.

I eat several small meals (meals/snacks) throughout the day.

I don’t like eating one big thing, I like a lot of little things per meal.

I get bored of the same thing all the time.

Due to the lack of colon and the scarring, I can’t eat a purely plant-based diet.

I have to avoid seeds, hard to digest nuts, high fibre items like popcorn.

I have always loved nuts.

I have to be moderate about my high fibre intake, of grains such as quinoa, bulgur and barley, which can hurt my stomach.

My food aversions are a big issue.

My husband and I have a meal kit service for 4 dinners, eat a fast and easy meal like chicken nuggets for a 5th, and order in for the other 2.

I love Asian food and South Asian food, but just mild spices.

I was supplementing small meals with junk food.

I was eating a little chocolate every night, a triangle of Toblerone or a square or two of a Dairy Milk Bar.

I occasionally ate candy, such as Twizzlers and Skittles.

Chips were a weekend speciality, but I never ate more than a small portion at a time.

I need some kind of bedtime snack. I don’t store food so when I am hungry my stomach will feel hollow, achy and nauseous.

Charles is lactose intolerant, so we have lactose free milk in the fridge.

My main drinks are water and tea, with a little ginger ale before dinner (one third of a can) and the occasional coke (to try to clear a bowel obstruction – ER doc recommended! and it can work!); I also drink Pelligrino Essenza Lemon and Lemon Zest Flavour when having a hot flash – once a week or less. Seems to help cool me down and feel better for some reason. Hot flashes sometimes cause nausea.

I’ve started to have trouble sleeping after years of sleeping well and having naps in the daytime. When that happens I will grab a Baby Bell mini cheese or heat up a cup of milk with honey. I like the occasional pint of Guiness, glass of Rioja, Chardonay or a small glass of Lagavulin.

 2 Snapshots of A Day in the Eating Life of Amanda Earl

 

Sample Meals and Snacks

Weekday

5 a.m.: bagel with vegan margarine

mid-morning: smoked oysters

noon: an air fried President’s Choice bean and cheese burrito

4 p.m.: a Nature Valley Peanut Butter Bar

6:p.m.: a half serving of the serving per person offered in a Hello Fresh Meal. Some of the HF meals we have picked are full of butter. They usually have more starch and veg than meat. Meat is a deck of card’s worth typically.

10 p.m. Honey and Oat Cheerios with 1% milk or yogurt (Activia Vanilla, lemon, coconut or strawberry).

 

Weekend

 

7 a.m. Eggo Waffle with vegan marg and syrup.

10 a.m. Eggs and bacon with white toast

11 a.m. apple turnover

1 p.m. left over Chinese food (Beef and Ginger, Thai Basil Chicken, Singapore Vermicelli Noodles, deep fried won tons with sweet and sour sauce)

6 p.m. Hello Fresh Meal (favs chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, garlic green beans; A Thai inspired meal with shrimp, coconut milk, basil, onions, peppers and spices. Pasta with tomato sauce and ground meat (chicken, beef or pork).

evening - Old Dutch Potato chips

10 p.m. white bread toast with vegan margarine

  

Further Notes

 

While recuperating from my health crisis, I was on a low fibre diet. A lot of food just wouldn’t stay down. Since white bread and other carbs were fine for the diet, I definitely focused on those, especially sweet things like vanilla pound cake or apple turnovers. Charles made me a New York Style Cheese cake at xmas 2009 and a roast turkey dinner, a small portion, trying to find food that I could eat and that I would enjoy . Since then he’s made me the cake every birthday and the roast turkey with stuffing, corn (frozen) and cranberry sauce (jelly) and gravy for xmas and thanksgiving, sometimes Easter.

 

Favourite Foods, Sauces and Flavours

 

potatoes

seafood and smoked fish (kippers, oysters)

Chana Dahl

Aloo Gobi

Biryani

Masala Dosa

gulab jamun

rice pudding

sticky toffee pudding

Indian snacks (peanuts, beans, lentils etc covered in spices with lots of fried bits)

Satay Chicken

Sticky Rice

Dim Sum dumplings (shrimp har gow)

sushi, especially unagi and inari, California roll, tempura shrimp

dark meat for chicken and turkey

a well done steak

oatmeal but eat mostly the Instant kind

strawberries, mangoes, raspberries (blueberries too – but blockage issue), tomatoes

avocado

bok choy

love most greens but am wary about them due to blockage threats (especially kale)

smoothies

pastries, especially profiteroles, chocolate mayonnaise cake without icing

pistachio gelato in a waffle cone or any of the ice cream that Mu Shu Ice Cream makes

hors d’oevres, such as mini-quiches, smoked salmon, jumbo shrimp.

Greek and Mediterranean foods, such as stuffed grape leaves, pita bread with hummus.

flavours such as peanut, coconut, ginger.

I love crunchy foods.

 

Habits

 

Cheez whiz

Quick solutions to hunger: a tablespoon of peanut butter, a mini baby bell cheese, a handful of crackers.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do