Skip to main content

bedraggled but still here

text: Community Diabetes Education Program of Ottawa (CDEPO)  We are here to support you with diabetes self management. You can do this!' image: hands holding a glocometer with a testing strip.

 This afternoon I had a group Zoom session about diabetes management with the team from the Community Diabetes Education Program of Ottawa (CDEPO). It was informative and somewhat reassuring. The biggest takeway for me was this: “Diabetes can be overwhelming! We don’t expect you to be perfect. Small sustainable changes are the key and can take you far!"

 I don’t have to count carbs (unless I want to); I just have to visualize the nutrition plate and try to aim for that for each meal: half veg, quarter starch/carbs, quarter protein. And I have to aim for more physical activity. They emphasized that they weren’t asking people to join a gym but rather to move every day, every hour, focusing on both cardio and resistance. I’m close. I don’t move every hour; I often sleep for hours in the daytime. I already do my fitness class three times a week and I do walk, just not daily, so I’ll try to change my walking to a daily half-hour.

 Stress can also cause trouble, so as the nurse said, I will try to be zen about things. If you know me, you know this isn’t easy for me. I’m a control-freak with anxiety issues.

 I’m also taking comfort in something I read in this diabetic cookbook, which reminded me that everyone is different and what works for some might not work for others. I have serious anxiety about the food, as I’ve mentioned, but the dietician has already told me over the phone that she thinks she can help with meal planning with me.

 I will concentrate on small steps and not beat myself up if I don’t always succeed in following nutrition guidelines for every meal.

 I also thought I’d need a glucometer, but that sounds like it’s optional. I do need to get a regular blood test every three months via my doctor.

 Another thing that struck me is that a lot of the symptoms listed were ones I had but I thought were related to either my not having a colon or menopause: fatigue, thirst, having to pee a lot, dry skin. Maybe taking more care with diet and exercise will eliminate some of those symptoms.

 The other thing that worries me is the blood pressure monitoring. With my claustrophobia, every time that cuff squeezes my arm, I feel panic and of course, that makes my heart pound and raises my blood pressure. But I probably do have high blood pressure, so maybe the point is moot.

 Between the pandemic, the state of the world, uncertainty and worry and anxiety that seems to have developed since perimenopause, I’ve been a wreck for some time. I feel quite sad at times.

 I feel like CDEPO is a good organization with caring people. Maybe the neglectful treatment I’ve gotten from family physicians will change now too.

 I have one piece of advice for physicians that tell their patients they are at risk of developing diabetes, at least in Ottawa: get them to contact CDEPO. had I been able to have this help several years ago, I might not be dealing with this now. 

I assumed that because I don’t have a colon, I couldn’t really change my diet. I assumed that my fatigue was due to that. I made a lot of assumptions and I’ve been still in recovery mode from my near-death health crisis for years now, overindulging because life could end any moment, sleeping for hours on end in the daytime, spending a lot of time indoors and not moving (during the pandemic). 

Well, now I’m feeling overwhelmed again. 

I’m still here. 

I have to figure out how to thrive. 

Small steps, I know. small.

bedraggled fuchsia flower still not quite open on a green blurry background
pink flower not fully open yet


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do