Skip to main content

9 lifestyle factors

 

a bowl of salad is blurred out on a bench
photo by Charles Earl


I thought about what it might be useful to know in order to figure out how to work out my diet and various other routines that might have to change due to the diabetes diagnosis.

 RELATIONSHIP/SEX

 I have been with Charles, my husband since 2001. We have no childern.

We are polyamorous and in an open marriage.

I have a high libido and will often spend weekday mornings in bed for self-pleasure. I rarely have penetrative sex (I don’t orgasm during vaginal intercourse). My husband and I give each other orgasms once or twice a week typically and are always intimate and affectionate. We can talk to each other about anything. We are best friends, confidantes and lovers.

I haven’t had much in person sexual involvement with others during the pandemic, I had a one-time encounter and a three time encounter in fall 2021, when we had a lull between waves.  I engage sexually with others via apps or sites online.

 HEALTH

 I am 58.

I am a non-smoker. I don't take recreational drugs. 

I reached menopause (one year after my last period) in August 2021.

I don’t have a colon.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on March 29, 2022. Before that I had been told that diabetes was something to watch for.

I have eczema on my hands and feet since 2019, toward the end of perimenopause. I am seeing a dermatologist. I use two different ointments to control it, but I have outbreaks sometimes, despite my efforts. I use soap for sensitive skin, lots of moisturizer creams and unfortunately don’t put on gloves in the shower or during food prep as much as I should.

 Since menopause I have occasional sleeping difficulties, either not being able to get to sleep until 2 a.m or waking up at 2 or 3 a.m. and not being able to go back to sleep.

 I have occasional issues with my teeth, fillings required. From being in ICU with a ventilator during my health crisis, I clamp my jaw down in my sleep. I tried a fitted mouth guard in late 2021 but I’m too claustrophobic to be able to use it.

 My blood pressure reads high. This may be due to my claustrophobia and white coat syndrome.

I have regular sinus issues and take extra strength Tylenol sinus meds when needed. I use Voltaren for occasional body ache issues, and sometimes Extra Strength Tylenol for body ache and head ache issuse.

 MENTAL HEALTH

 Since perimenopause I have struggled with periods of depression and anxiety. I have found regular exercise helps with that. Since the pandemic, I’ve definitely experienced for periods of lowness and lack of energy.

 TRANSPORTATION

 Neither of us drives. I walk or take public transit.

 ACCOMMODATION

 We live in an apartment on the edge of Chinatown on the 19th floor.

Our refrigerator is small with a small freezer.

There’s no space for additional storage.

We do not have pets.

 OCCUPATION

 I work from home as a writer and small press publisher. This requires me to spend a lot of time at my desk, on my computer or reading in a sedentary position. Before the pandemic, I would sit in cafes and write / read as well.

 DAILY ROUTINE

 Weekdays

 4:45 a.m. Wake up. I sometimes wake earlier when I have sleeping difficulties.

5 a.m. breakfast

6:45 a.m.  Charles commutes to his office in the East End.

I often go back to bed after he leaves.

8:30 a.m. or later. I wake up. Have a bite to eat. Answer e-mails etc

Monday, Wednesday, Fridays – 9:30-10:45 a.m. Zoom fitness class.

11 a.m. I eat lunch.

I do my work. I have a snack around 3 pm.

4 pm My husband arrives between 4 and 5:30pm

5:30 pm We make and eat dinner.

Evening – we watch tv, we sleep.

11 pm - sleep

 Weekends

We typically wake a little later but we usually eat breakfast around 7 a.m. Sit at the computer and do our own thing, eat at noon, rest, eat again at around 6 pm. rest more. watch tv. sleep after and wake up for a bit, go to sleep around 11 pm.

 FOOD AND DRINK

 Since the pandemic we’ve been ordering groceries online through Instacart from Massine’s YIG (our local grocery store).

Supplies are short and meat quality is poor.

 For three or four dinners a week we order from a meal kit service.

For the additional dinners, we either order in, usually pizza or Chinese food or we heat up a fast meal, such as chicken nuggets.

 We cook weeknight and weekend evening meals together. I make my own meals on weekday days. I prepare our weekday breakfasts, which have to require only minimal preparation because he needs to go to the office. He prepares weekend breakfasts and lunch on weekends tends to be leftovers from ordering in or something quick.

 I drink alcohol on occasion (once a month or less). I like Guinness and Scotch. I used to love wine but when perimenopause began, I started to have issues with it, it increased my hot flashes and made me feel uncomfortable. I drank more before my health crisis.

 Since my health crisis I have fallen asleep after dinner most nights for an hour or more. Sometimes I do so after breakfast or lunch too. I thought my fatigue was related to the health crisis and not having a colon, but perhaps it is related to blood sugar and diabetes. I am at home most of the time so when I am tired, I take a nap.

 Hydration is essential since I don’t have a colon. I drink at least 750 ml of water daily. I have to drink water as soon as I wake up because otherwise my brain is muddled and my body is clumsy.

 I go through phases of drinking coffee, one or two cups with breakfast. I love black tea, especially Irish Breakfast. I go through phases of drinking two or three cups daily – Irish Breakfast in the morning, Lapsang Souchong or another variety of black tea in the afternoon. I sometimes drink Chrysanthemum, oolong, jasmine or mint tea. I am not that fond of green tea in general. To settle my stomach, I sometimes have camomile tea.

 FITNESS

 I have been doing a regular fitness routine since January, 2020 via the Carleton Athletics Senior Ravens program for people over 50. What began as three different types of classes before the pandemic (stretch and strength; aquafit and tai chi) is now just the Stretch and Strength class, which is offered three times a week live on Zoom. I also have access to recorded classes. I have been good in 2022 about doing the class three times a week, but before that I was sporadic, sometimes missing entire weeks.

 I also dance a few times a week (alone and in my apartment).

 The only times I leave the apartment are for errands and for exercise. During the pandemic this could be as infrequent as once a week or once every two weeks or so. Before the pandemic I would also meet friends for lunch or coffee, at least one or two every couple of weeks or so, sometimes every week. I would also attend literary events sometimes on weeknights or weekends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do