Skip to main content

Sugar Free Pie in the Sky

a cheesecake on a kitchen counter with a slice cut out

My diagnosis was given to me by the receptionist of the family medical centre I’ve been going to for umpteen years. She called to make an appointment to address my diabetes management. Apparently the temporary doctor replacing my regular doctor had written “DM” on my chart, which stands for “Diabetes Management.”

 I was surprised and asked the receptionist to talk to the doctor and receive clarification. I admit to you, dear reader that I was in the middle of my Zoom fitness workout when I took the call and it took me all my will power to resume the workout. I was upset. Upset not only because of hearing about the diagnosis that way, but also because of my backstory. TLDR: in 2009, out of the blue I developed full body sepsis and a toxic mega colon and wasn’t expected to survive. I had exploratory surgery, they removed the colon and I’m here! Yay! You can read a detailed log of what happened along with the experience on my Firebird and Phoenix blog (note links list on right hand side). Here’s the first entry from January, 2010 when I was beginning my recovery.

 I had an ileostomy appliance for 14 months and then bowel resection surgery in 2011, resulting in a shorter small intestine than you have (most likely), and severe scarring. The scarring means that I have been to the ER 5 times for bowel obstructions and admitted twice, having to have a Naso Gastric tube inserted to remove the blockage. Last time was March, 2021 and last non-ER visit bowel obstruction was March 19, 2022. Fortunately I didn’t need the hospital.

 These obstructions do have to do with the food I eat getting trapped in some scarred spot in my small bowel, but can happen at any time, so it’s tricky. I have a very nervous relationship with food. So yes, when I heard the diagnosis, I imagined someone trying to shove bulger and kale down my throat while I got increasingly horrid stomach cramps and vomited it all up. I know, I have a very active imagination.

 A few tears and some time with my darling husband settled me back down. I went to the doctor and she gave me incontrovertible proof that I had diabetes. She said it was on my chart since 2014. No one has ever said to me that I have diabetes. One of the doctors who has treated me from time to time at the clinic told me it was something to keep an eye on. The latest blood test from earlier in March, 2022 revealed a high A1C number of 9.5 and this means, you guessed it, diabetes. I haven't even been told which kind it is yet, type 1 or type 2 and what those differences are. 

I guess I’m going to learn about all of this stuff, but I should probably give you a disclaimer that I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on tv. ha!). I’m a writer and whimsy loving individual with a macabre sense of humour. You’ll see. This test takes readings from 3 months somehow, rather than just focusing on the current blood sugar number. So I’m sweet, I’m a sweety pie. I can’t eat no sweet pie. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Dancing to Unsweetened Jams

 Yesterday I had my follow up appointment with my regular doctor about my diabetes diagnosis. Today I had the follow up blood tests at the DinoCare (actually Dynacare, but I couldn’t resist) lab that the temp doc wouldn’t let me have when I saw her back on March 29. My regular doctor also prescribed blood pressure meds. I’ve been monitoring my blood pressure with a wrist cuff since I am not able to use the regular arm cuff without my blood pressure going sky high. But even with feeling more comfortable with the wrist cuff, I still get hypertension 1 and sometimes 2 numbers, so I need to lower it. Tomorrow I’m starting PERINDOPRIL, which may have me fainting from low blood pressure and vomiting. Hey, let’s hope not. Don’t read the side effect stuff on the web. The pharmacist said well, you have to take it , right? So yeah. As long as the symptoms are minor, I’ll be ok. ?!   The supremely kind and helpful staff of the Community Diabetes Education Program Ottawa (CDEPO) rigged me up wit

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not