Skip to main content

The Cost of Diabetes

parking car garage with exit sign
photo by Charles Earl

The test strips can cost between $75 to over $100 for a box of 100. 6 strips a day equals 2190 a year, which is 21.9 boxes or $1752 a year at an average cost of $80 per box of 100). The lancets are $10 a box for 100. 6 lancets a day also equals 2190 a year which is 21.9 boxes or $219. For a total cost of $1917. This is a monthly cost of $164.25.

Private insurance should cover 70% but your insurance program may have a limit on the amount it covers. If you don’t have private insurance, you can get support from the Ontario Monitoring for Health Program which covers “75% reimbursement up to a maximum of $920 per year. This means that you can submit up to $1227 in receipts for strips and lancets each year; the program will reimburse 75% ($920).”

FSL2 sensors are $97 for 14 days or 6.93 a day x 365 days = $2528.93, which is $210.74 a month. And these aren’t covered unless you take insulin.

For those taking insulin or using medication, there are more costs to deal with.

Since the test strips are so expensive, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that some people with diabetes do not test their blood sugar levels as often as they should. There’s really no reason why everyone with diabetes shouldn’t have free or cheap access to continuous glucose monitors or free access to test strips and lancets, as well as their meds. According to a report from Diabetes Canada dated 2019, one in three Canadians is living with diabetes or prediabetes.

 And how does this differ across the country?

According to Lisa Priest of HealthyDebate.ca in 2013: “Out-of-pocket costs for patients with Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease, were lowest per year for those living in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, where it is fully covered. In the Yukon, there is a $250 deductible, then full coverage.

The next lowest provinces are Quebec ($1,546.58) and Saskatchewan ($1,870.50). The highest costs were encountered in New Brunswick ($3,426.99), Newfoundland and Labrador ($3,396.04) and Prince Edward Island ($3036.31). Ontario ($2,073.50) was considered a middle performer. That compares to the Canadian average ($1,824.97), according to June 2011 data provided by the Canadian Diabetes Association. Those figures are based on payments made by those with an annual individual income of $30,000. In many cases, the out-of-pocket increases for those with the higher incomes of $43,000 and $75,000, save for the Yukon, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador, where the amounts are the same, no matter the income.”

Given the large number of people with diabetes / prediabetes, it makes no sense that coverage isn’t 100% for everyone in Canada.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do