Skip to main content

INTRODUCING NESSE

Nessie the Loch Ness Monster sighting in the lake

Last week, Charles and I visited the Bruyere Family Medical Centre in Lowertown where the Community Diabetes Education Program Ottawa is located (it will move back to Primrose in Centretown West near our apartment in the fall). I had an appointment to learn how to use the glucose meter with G, the dietician. This was the first time we were meeting her in person. She was as friendly and helpful as she’s been so far on the phone and on Zoom. I feel very lucky to have so much support.

After the FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor trial ends next week, we have decided to continue using them until close to the next A1C test in August so that I can keep getting instant and informative feedback about the effects of diet and physical activity on my blood sugar levels.

G. was pleased to see my blood sugar levels from one day’s sample of the FSL2 sensor. What she was looking for was even levels and mine were fairly even. I’ve had a few days where there have been peaks and a few drops but mostly I’m able to improve my numbers through the knowledge I’ve gained from the use of the sensor, which I’ve called Neo after the Matrix character).

G gave me the One Touch Glucose Meter. Glucose Meters are covered under OHIP, but supplies are not. The glucose meter consists of the meter itself which can be bluetoothed to an app on a smart phone which makes it possible to add more info. The One Touch requires lancets (needles) and test strips for the blood sample. They call this test a finger stick, not a prick, as Charles and I were calling it.

I have to take blood samples when I wake up, before and after meals and at bedtime. Ideally, I would also do it before and after physical activity. Since I still have the FSL2 sensor, it isn’t necessary for me to do so now, but I want to learn how to use the One Touch and also compare the results. By August, I’ll be using the One Touch exclusively.

To take the sample, you wash your hands in warm soapy water so that there’s no food or other residue on your fingers but also for good hygiene. You are advised to use the side of your finger. You insert the prong end of the test strip into the glucose meter and prick your finger with the lancet so that it bleeds with enough blood to put on the test strip. G. showed me how to take the sample and then had me try myself. They prefer if you use only one lancet for each sample taken to avoid contamination.

G. gave me a sample package of lancets and two packages of 10 test strips to start me off. I began that night.

I call the One Touch Nessie after the Loch Ness Monster – seen only occasionally and considered to be a myth – after my blood. My first day attempts at taking blood samples were humorous and a bit unnerving. I had trouble getting enough blood to put on the test strip. I e-mailed the team at CDEPO and R, the nurse e-mailed me a link to a video on how to do it. I had already seen a video on the One Touch site, but the video she sent me to was for nurses and I found it to have more detail. I noticed that even though I had been told to puncture the side and not the tip of my finger, the person in the video used what I considered to be part of the tip, just below the actual tip and slightly off to the side. I was trying to use the actual side of my finger and not having much luck. What was also really frustrating was that when I didn’t get enough blood onto the test strip, the monitor showed an error and I had to use another strip.

I also asked fellow members of my Diabetes 101 for Beginners Facebook group for advice and that was especially helpful. I like this group. We share our experiences and offer both commiseration and advice. Here are the tips that the group gave me:

1.     wash hands for a long time in warm and soapy water.

2.     massage the finger that will be punctured for a while to help the blood flow.

3.     drink lots of water. [I thought I was drinking enough water, but one person advised to drink a full 8 oz glass, and once I started to do so, getting blood was much easier.]

 I have been having more success now. I’ve started to have a ritual since I have to do the testing at least 6 times daily.

 1.     Pour a 350 ml glass of water.

2.     Get cotton pad to use for bleeding finger post prick {sorry, finger stick}.

3.     Lay out supplies on lap table.

4.     Drink water.

5.     Open jar of used needles.

6.     Massage finger to be pricked. [I begin with the little finger of my left hand for first prick of the day and move in order across my fingers.]

7.     Drink water.

8.     Take out lancet.

9.     Take out lancet applicator.

10.  Unscrew applicator cap and insert lancet.

11.  Massage finger.

12.  Drink water [ finish glass].

13.  Remove test strip from canister. {The canisters look like tiny film canisters and the test strips are even tinier and stick together. How much fun is this for people with arthritis or eye difficulties.}

14.  Prick finger. [All being well, there’s enough of a drop, but if not I’ll squeeze a bit to get more out; if that doesn’t work, I try a different finger.]

15.  Place blood against side of test strip and watch it go all the way across. {Phew.}

16.  Read the meter and either leave the default note as “before meal” or change to “after meal” for 2 hours after I eat.

17.  Sync with the app on my phone.

18.  Unscrew lancet applicator cap, press needle into top of plastic needle holder and dislodge into used needle container.

19.  Repeat 6+ times a day.

 I work from home and don’t travel much. I am wondering what it’s like for those who have to manage their diabetes in the office or on the road. Or those who are living in disadvantaged circumstances. I am very fortunate and grateful.

 You can help put an end to diabetes by donating to Diabetes Canada. The money supports both research and camps for kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do