Skip to main content

Good Days and Shitty Days

 

woman in red leather jacket and white tutu stands in front of a graffiti wall with prominent colourful butterfly
photo by Charles Earl


The day started off bleh when I got into the elevator of my apartment building as some dude with a big dog was getting off. The dog all friendly like made a little leap toward me but didn’t come near enough to bother me in any way. He was just friendly. Turns out the dude and dog were on the wrong floor, having pressed 19 instead of 18. So dude, (maskless, of course) gets back on the elevator with me and proceeds to lecture dog. “You’re in trouble, Booker, for jumping on the little old lady.” What. The. Actual. Fuck. My response: “No, you’re in trouble,” before dude and dog got off. Dude looked to be about 40 to me, but I can’t tell about ages. Anyway, there’s nothing wrong with being a little old lady and I’ll be proud to be one when I’m … 80…or whatever. Sigh.

The reason I was in the elevator was that I had a follow up appointment with my doctor today regarding the blood pressure medication she put me on last month. Hating cars, I take public transit to my appointments, which requires an hour outbound and an hour home to take into account possible snafus with Ogre Transpo, the local transportation authority.

So..back to the BP. All is going well, but my BP is a little low now and I’m having issues with instability when I walk or exercise, so she’s halving the dosage. Phew. It’s been frustrating to have to walk really slowly and also to do my fitness class with a need to hang on to a chair a lot of the time.

We also discussed the results of my last A1C on May 11, which was 8.1, after an AIC of 9.5 on March 15. She told me that while my results are impressive and I’m doing great stuff to manage my diabetes, I will still likely need medication. If I don’t get an A1C lower than 7 in August, she will put me on meds immediately, she said. I understand. It’s best to be realistic, but I walked out of there seriously bummed. I asked myself what am I even bothering to take care of myself if I’m just going to go on meds?

I have a horror of the meds. Metformin, the one that people are usually always put on at first seems to cause horrible side effects for many people, such as diarrhea. I know it is probably getting tiresome to hear, if you’re reading this at all, and I have no idea if anyone is, but the fact is my not having a colon makes me averse to even more liquid bowel movements. I have that typically many times, but it’s controlled, not random like diarrhea. I apologize for talking shit, but that’s an issue for everybody and for those of us without colons or with parts of our colons gone, it’s a greater concern. I do 200 Kegels a day in order to try to stop anal leakage, but it still happens. I don’t have anal sex anymore because I have to keep the sphincter tight, in order to avoid leakage or worse. So yeah, the idea of this med is scary to me and unpleasant at best.

Anyway, that’s me spinning. I have no idea whether it will happen. Maybe I’ll get an A1C below 7. My Freestyle Libre 2 and 1 sensors have both predicted A1Cs below 6 – 5.8 and 5.6. Also if I need meds I need meds. Lots of people with diabetes use meds and are helped by them. Finally I did ask that my doctor consult with an endocrinologist who knows what the fuck to do with patients with no colons before choosing the meds to put me on.

So I’ll try to stay motivated. The reason for my improving my diet and physical activity was not so I could stay off meds or to stop having diabetes. Diabetes is a lifelong condition. If I take care of myself, I will feel better and I will reduce the chances of having the long-term complications of diabetes: heart and stroke, foot amputations yada yada. In the short term, as Adam Brown has also focused on in Bright Spots and Land Mines, with these improvements, I have more energy, I’m able to focus more, I’m not as grumpy with people. That’s something to desire.

And if I end up with the shits, I guess I’ll have the shits, and then we’ll try a different med or a different dosage.

Another piece of good news is I don’t need to regularly test my blood with Nessie (the One Touch) anymore except for education purposes. And since I’ve got another 28 days on Neo (the FreeStyle Libre 2 flash glucose sensor), I can use that for education and just hold off on Nessie and her costly supplies until I find out the results of the next A1C test in August. I’m going to be a nervous wreck on blood test day. Regardless, I am now prepared for whatever. I have to tell you it was a tough day though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lace Up To End Diabetes - fundraiser for September, 2022

 I'm taking part in Diabetes Canada's Lace Up fundraising campaign to raise money to end diabetes and increase awareness and education about it. You can help by donating money here . This September, Diabetes Canada is inviting people across Canada to move together and Lace Up to End Diabetes. Challenge yourself or rally a team to Lace Up Your Way and raise funds that will help bring us one step closer to a cure. Diabetes or prediabetes affects in 1 in 3 people across Canada, and some will experience serious or even life-threatening complications. Insulin is not a cure. It’s the starting line, not the finish line for diabetes. Even with help from insulin, diabetes can still reduce a lifespan by 5-15 years. “Diabetes is successful at outrunning us all and with a new diagnosis every 3 minutes in Canada – it’s not slowing down,” says Laura Syron, President and CEO of Diabetes Canada. “We’re committed to improving the quality of life for those living with diabetes and through Lace U

Attitude Adjustment

photo by Charles Earl I t's a few weeks until my next A1C test. As you may recall, the A1C is the test of blood sugar levels over three months. 6.5+ means diabetes. In March, mine was 9.5. In May it was 8.1. If it is 7 or higher in August, I will have to go on medication. I have completely changed my diet and increased my physical activity. I monitor with a glucose meter once a day now, as opposed to several times a day with the continuous glucose meter I was using to help me learn how my body reacts. I know now what causes uneven levels and how to even them out.  In the last while, I have been focusing on my emotional and mental health. On the advice of Adam Brown, the author of Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me , I have started to do daily gratitude journaling through The Five Minute Journal . At the start of each day, I note what I am grateful for, what would make the day better and write a daily affirmation. At the end of the day, I not

ongoing dizzy tizzy

the 4g of Perindopril Erbumine blood pressure medication the doctor put me on was making me too dizzy to be able to take my daily walks without shortening them severely. the doctor halved the dosage a week ago and I’m still experiencing the dizziness when I walk and also in the shower. it’s very frustrating along with being petrifying because I’m terrified I’ll fall. I’ve tested both my blood pressure and blood sugar levels when I’ve felt like this and they haven’t been out of range. I’ve tried taking the meds before breakfast and before dinner. Still dizzy. I feel like my attempts to lower my A1C levels are being sabotaged. today I had a bit of a cry when I was sitting outside on a bench in the sun. I love walking and the weather is beautiful. I want to be outside and enjoy the day. Instead I’m home and feeling like I’m not doing everything I can to manage my diabetes. I told my darling husband who has been walking with me after work when he gets home, holding my hand. He will do